History of the Quogue Historical Society
The Quogue Historical Society was founded in 1947 as the Historical Committee of the Quogue Library. In 1948, the Post family donated Quogue’s first schoolhouse, built in 1822, to the Library to be operated as a museum. It was moved to its current location behind the Library and, in 1949, opened to the public.
In 1977, the organization was incorporated and chartered as the Quogue Historical Association by New York State Regents and, in 1980, the charter was amended to change the name to the Quogue Historical Society.
In 2011, the Society moved its offices from the Quogue Library to new headquarters at 114 Jessup Avenue, a mid-19th century building located near the commercial and administrative center of the Village.
Called the Pond House because of its proximity to the pond at the corner of Midland and Jessup Avenues, the building provides two floors of exhibition space; climate controlled storage of the Society’s collections of artifacts, clothing and textiles, photographs, and documents; research facilities, and administrative offices.
The Pond House is owned by the Village of Quogue and administered by the Society under a license agreement. The Society is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization run by a Board of Directors, part-time Curator, and a cadre of dedicated volunteers.
To further its work in education, collections care and research, and historic preservation, the Society relies on donations, large and small.
All contributions are fully tax deductible. To learn more about ways to give, please visit our Support page.