Quogue’s 1822 schoolhouse, located behind the Library. It was moved from the Posts’ property on Quogue Street in 1948.
The Quogue Historical Society was founded in 1947 as the Historical Committee of the Quogue Library. In 1948, the Post Family donated Quogue’s first schoolhouse, built in 1822, to the Library to be operated as a museum by the Historical Committee. It was moved to its current location behind the Library from the Posts’ property on Quogue Street and, in 1949, opened as a museum.
In 1977, the Quogue Historical Society was chartered by New York State.
In 2011, the Society moved its offices from the Quogue Library to new headquarters at 114 Jessup Avenue, a mid-19th century building located near the commercial and administrative center of the Village.
Called the Pond House because of its proximity to the pond at the corner of Midland and Jessup Avenues, the building provides two floors of exhibition space; climate controlled storage of the Society’s collections of artifacts, photographs, and documents; research facilities, and administrative offices.
The Pond House is owned by the Village of Quogue and administered by the Society under a license agreement with the Village. It is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization.
To further its work in education, collections care and research, and historic preservation, the Society relies on donations, large and small.